Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Polygamy..

How can a person mate three or more or as many as available at one time?It is a doubt or confusion i am keeping in mind for a long time.What I observed is men do this more than women.Sometimes I had felt polygamy is a field of man's specialization.I have always a feeling of indigestion when I think about the subject of polygamy and poly andry.I dont know why.May be I am abnormal.In my thoughts I was always happy to remain sticking and attached to a single mate at one time.I always wonder how people can open up their naked dark sides and secrets with whoever comes in their way.This thought led me in to another thought.Why the god ddnt create the world either in a lesbian way or a gay way.Because they could have understood each other in a better way when they belong to the same mental and physical constitution.Women or men could have made children by parthenogenesis as some amphibians do.Or women could have made women and men could have given birth to male kids.There could havebeen plenty of possibilities like this rather than the love-hate-jelous-possessive relationships we suffer today and a possibility of bliss in each relationship.when I pointed out my this ignorant thought to a friend,she asked me.."how can you be so sure that noone will cheat eachother then also??"This was really a point.Cheating is a human habit.More correctly I would say betrayal.So even if the god had made the world as per my idea,then also people will betray each other.Because betrayal is in our blood.We cant help it.May be that is the more appropriate thinking.
I am mostly confused more than Mr confuscius..So when somebody says to me "I do everything openly without hiding " I get more confused.Is it right to do abnormal things [I wont say illegal] only because you are doing it openly?This habit particularly refers to polygamy,polyandry,flirting[which I consider as the mldest form of polygamy or polyandry].If polygamy is normal then what is abnormal?monogamy?Or is it that normal and abnormal are just terms only relative not absolute?
There is another word.INFIDELITY.A friend asked me why you write about infidelity in your poems.I think I never wrote about infidelity as I feel it doesnt exists.Its a legal word and exists legally only.Fidelit only can exists in minds.May be it just changes its directions according to time. Thats all.And there may be definite reasons for this fidelity things to change its direction,if you analyse it closely.Its a vast subject.Polygamy and Infidelity may be inseparable.Am not sure as usual.But I think both are defferent like north and south poles.Incompatibility may leads to loss of fidelity but not to polygamy or polyandry.Can polygamy leads to infidelity?I should seek answers to my musings either from psychologist buddies or from polygamous,polyandric buddies of mine:)
But still I feel at my low thinking level,polygamy and polyandry arises in modern life from insecurity , lack of self confidence,discontentment in self and overexpectations from others..May be wrong.Not sure as usual..:)

3 comments:

  1. Polygamy: Is this a new trend?

    Polygamy has existed in India since Vedic times. Even in today?s world, the practice continues and in fact thrives. Polygamy should be abolished and the people, who practice it, should be strictly dealt by the law.
    CJ: radhika, 1 Mar 2009 Views:423 Comments:16
    CAN A man cohabit with two women simultaneously? Yes, is the answer of the modern-day polygamists. The most recent name that we can recall almost immediately is the former Haryana deputy chief minister Chander Mohan, who publicly declared his love for his assistant advocate-general Anuradha Bali, now renamed Fiza.

    But according to the latest update, the minister is back to his first wife Seema Bishnoi. This whole drama portrays the tragic story of the two women, who are the innocent victims of this social practice of polygamy.

    Polygamy is becoming a new trend in contemporary, urban India. Is new age polygamy a continuation of traditional social norms? The Vedic scriptures, upon which the Hindu laws were based, clearly outlined that all classes could take more than one wife.

    Polygamy has been a thriving practice in all parts of India. Even in the South, M Karunanidhi, the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, has married at least 3 women, the first of whom is dead. Moreover, in the districts of the state, men believe in the concept of ‘the more the merrier.’

    Polygamy exists in the upper and lower echelons of our society unaffected by the traditional heritage and value system of our Indian society.

    Film director Mahesh Bhatt’s film Zakhm was a flashback on his own life. His father married twice but as his mother was a Muslim, he couldn’t accept her openly.

    In a hypocrite society as ours, does the ‘other woman’ ever become an accepted part of a polygamous treaty? This is such an unfair practice.

    Bollywood couples Dharmendra-Hema Malini, Salim Khan-Salma Khan-Helen live by their own rules and conditions.

    According to Buddhism, polygamy is discouraged and is considered a sin. It is said that ‘a man who is not satisfied with one woman and seeks out other woman is on the path to decline.’

    In Hinduism, polygamy was practised by many sections of the Hindu society in ancient times. Even in Ramayana, father of lord Rama, king Dasharath, had three wives. But Rama pledged himself just one wife.

    Under the Hindu Marriage Act, polygamy is banned by law and is considered illegal for Hindus, Jains, Sikhs and Buddhists.

    Other Articles by radhika
    MCD to use hydraulic machines to catch stray cattle
    As you sow, so you reap - really? No!
    Delhi: Are we ready for Commonwealth Games 2010
    Modern perspective of religion
    Horror in the city
    more >>

    Christianity enforces the ideal of one god and one life partner. It rejects the idea of a person to marry several wives.

    In Islam, polygamy is allowed for men, with the specific limitation that they can only have up to four wives at any one point of time. The Quran also states that men, who choose this route must deal with their wives as fairly as possible, doing everything that they can to spend equal amounts of money and time on each of them.

    So referring to the ancient times, the modern-day polygamists are doing nothing new but instead, they are carrying forward this age old ritual and practice very boldly.

    Law should take its own course and strictly implement the Act against this practice in the Indian Society. Polygamy should be abolished and the people, who practice it, should be heavily punished and strictly dealt by the law.

    Polygamy should end because its existence violates the principle of equality between the sexes and its ruins the traditional values and ethics of our Indian society known all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both, polygamy and polyandry were quite common in olden days not only in India but also in other societies.But when civilizations evolved societies became monogamous. Now a days there are only rare instances of polygamy and polyandry in India,with the exception of Islamic society where polygamy is sanctioned by law.Even there, amongst educated folks it is becoming scarce.

    I think what you are referring to is extra marital relationships. There is a perception that in India with the spreading influence of western culture such tendencies are increasing here. But the fact is that modernisation has encouraged people to be more open about such relationships. The sad truth is that in Indian society also, extra marital relationships have always existed like in the other societies.Today, the cloak of secrecy is gradually being unveiled as people become bolder; giving the impression that these things are a new trend.

    I don't think nature created man, or for that matter woman as a monogamous animal.But, we take pride in having evolved into a higher form and level. Yet, there may be many who are yet to attain that staus and fall prey to their baser instincts.Again others who are products of their circumstances.There are people in extra marital relationships who still ardently love their spouses in their own way. Others may ask how this is possible. As you said all terms are relative and not absolute; even love.

    I neither condemn nor condone such relationships/ affairs. Like Jesus Christ said adultery needn't necessarily have to be committed physically. It can very well be committed in the deep confines of one's mind. Let he who hath not sinned be the one to cast the first stone.May all of us strive to conquer our fralities and strive to be better human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Polygamy or Polyandry are words related to the institution of marriage.They change their relevance as the the concepts of marriage itself changes. In general, one can see that the practice of Polygamy is prevalent even now though Polyandry is almost non-existent.Marriage is a system devised to share acquired and inherited wealth. As concepts of wealth/property acquisition changes, the system of marriage also changes. Since most of the wealth is now in the hands of men, they devise modes by which men satisfy their whims and not women.

    Personally, I prefer the word Polyamory, which denotes love for more than one person at a time. It is related to `love' and not `marriage' which has little to do with love.

    ReplyDelete